Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Happy New Year - Painting with Light

Wow - I've been busy! And neglectful of the blogging thing. Resolution no. 1 Pay more attention to the Blog. Resolution no. 2 Learn More about Lighting. This is going to be the year of the Lights for me. I've been a natural light photographer for years. I have used off camera flash but have never been completely comfortable with it. I have decided to try and master this.

To get started, I have been playing with Painting with Light. A neat technique, and great for passing time on the long winter days of New England....where there is little light! Here is an e image I took of a flower, painting with light.
The basic setup was a black velour blanket on a table, the camera on a tripod - two flashlights - one penlight and one regular small flashlight, and a boquet of fresh flowers from the supermarket. I used a remote to trigger the camera to lessen camera shake. My Camera settings were ISO 320, f16, and ss 10 secs. I turned out the lights - tripped over everything in my way and then took the image while lighting with the flashlightsin various places. I could control exactly how I wanted the light to hit - it was fun and I like the resulting images. And it certainly gave me something to do in the cold winter of New England!!

Try it!!

No comments: